Reject of W2K gc._msdcs...

Craig Mason cmason at masontechnology.com
Sat Feb 26 02:04:43 UTC 2000

Hi Mark and Barry, (and any other W2K strugglers out there...)

Today I tried Mark's suggestion. I added a zone for _msdcs.example.com and
put in the check-names ignore statement into the config file's info on that
zone. Killed and restarted named... no effect. Still got the error message
about rejecting.

After a bit of frustration, ( I am a DNS newbie, forgive me) I decided to
put the check-names ignore statement in the main zone's config -
example.com. In the spirit of changing more than one thing at once, I also
changed "ignore" to "warn."

In /var/adm/messages, the error log now says "continuing anyway" and
apparently adds the "gc" A record anyway.

After restarting, magically the "gc" entry mentioned by Barry now appears in
my zone file for example.com. If all worked elegantly, I would expect it to
show up in the _msdcs.example.com zone.

I believe the "gc" A record is the address of the Global Catalog server.
We're installing a root W2K domain, and the IP address is also the IP
address of the first server in our "tree." I believe ( I have no proof of
this yet) that Windows 2000 professional clients that attempt to query DNS
for the location of a "Global Catalog" server will get the address of "gc"
back, now that it's actually in there. But this is total guesswork on my
part... would love it if an Active Directory expert chimed in.... Our server
"dc1" is the "Global Catalog" server, and I've named the first "Active
Directory" to be "example.com" - the same as the Unix DNS zone. I'm making
BIND/Solaris the primary server, and plan to make W2K servers secondary.

Monday, I'm going to work with other DNS experts to understand why the
_msdcs domain is not working for me. The newbie part of me does not know if
I am even authoritative for that zone. So, I'll work again through the issue
and post the "elegant" answer (which I hope is Mark's solution) to the list
again.

Have a great weekend!

Craig