Bug in 8.2.2 ?!?

Barry Margolin barmar at bbnplanet.com
Tue Feb 29 00:13:26 UTC 2000

In article <38BB01BA.D245BB2A at netline.com>,  <mitch at netline.com> wrote:
>A user reported a really strange problem which is best
>illustrated by the command sequence below.  When I
>refer to 8.2.2 I mean specifically 8.2.2-P5.
>
># host gphinc.com.
>Host not found, try again.

The primary server for the domain contains:

gphinc.com.	86400	NS	216.33.221.25.
gphinc.com.	86400	NS	216.200.110.8.

These are being cached in place of the delegation records from the root
servers.

gphinc.com.	172800	NS	DOGBERT.VIDEOACTV.COM.
gphinc.com.	172800	NS	DNS.V-STUDIOS.COM.

When your server tries to use those cached NS records, it fails because
there are no hosts named 216.33.221.25 or 216.200.110.8.  Whoever managed
this the Dogbert DNS server doesn't realize that NS records have to point
to host *names*, not IP addresses.

Barry Margolin, barmar at bbnplanet.com