problems running bind under user "named"...

Ralf Hildebrandt R.Hildebrandt at tu-bs.de
Tue Feb 29 08:05:04 UTC 2000

On Mon, Feb 28, 2000 at 04:34:43PM -0600, Duane Cox wrote:

> I have bind running under the user named, but when RELOADING via kill -1
>or kill -HUP named restarts with the error "config: error: couldn't create
>pid file 'var/run/named.pid'.  If I RESTART via /etc/rc.d/init.d/named
>restart, then there is no such message and the pid of named does match the
>cat /var/run/named.pid.

BIND cannot write /var/run/named.pid (in the chroot-jail if you're running
chrooted). Easy:
% touch /var/run/named.pid
% chown named /var/run/named.pid
% chmod u+w /var/run/named.pid

or make /var/run writable for user named

I must admit the documentation lacks a little...

--
Ralf Hildebrandt <R.Hildebrandt at tu-bs.de> www.stahl.bau.tu-bs.de/~hildeb
And when all the snow were burnt, yet ashes would remain

-- Attached file included as plaintext by Listar --