Search Directive

Tilman Schmidt Tilman.Schmidt at sema.de
Tue Feb 29 10:09:31 UTC 2000

At 18:41 29.02.00 +0900, Rahul Parasnis wrote:
>How can I use Search Directive ?
>
>search current.domain.jp  jp.newdomain
>nameserver 199.124.124.201  (host1.current.domain.jp's Primary Master )
>nameserver 199.124.124.108  ( host2.jp.newdomain's Primary Master)
>
>it's not working ?  I would like to know what I am missing ?
>
>If first server does not have the answer but the second server has the
>answer then the search is not going to the second Server.

That's correct. The nameservers are tried in order, but only if the
first one cannot be reached at all is the next one used. If the server
on 199.124.124.201 accepts the request it has to provide the final
answer. (Recursive request.) So what you have to do is configure the
nameserver on 199.124.124.201 so that it forwards requests it cannot
resolve by itself to another server, possibly the one on 199.124.124.108.

Apparently you misunderstood the purpose of the search directive.
It is just for specifying which domain to append to a name that doesn't
have one, before looking it up. So with the search directive you cited,
if someone said "telnet somehost" the resolver would first try to find
a machine called somehost.current.domain.jp, and if it couldn't find
that one, proceed to trying somehost.jp.newdomain; but both of these
names would be presented to 199.124.124.201 for resolution if a
nameserver can be reached at that address.

--
Tilman Schmidt          E-Mail: Tilman.Schmidt at sema.de (office)
Sema Group Koeln, Germany       tilman at schmidt.bn.uunet.de (private)