stub resolver timeout

Joseph S D Yao jsdy at cospo.osis.gov
Mon Jan 3 20:56:12 UTC 2000

On Mon, Dec 13, 1999 at 11:22:14AM -0500, j j wrote:
> If my DNS client have 2 name server's in its resolv.conf file and the first
> server returned a SERVFAIL to a query, would it try the second name server
> in its resolv.conf for the same query or would it forward the SERVFAIL
> responds back to the application ...

If a resolver can contact ANY server, it will not bother to contact any
other server.  Why should it?  Each server is supposed to be completely
definitive.

> Another question regarding stub resolvers ...

What are they?  I have never heard of them.

> If I have 2 name servers list in my clients resolv.conf file, what is the
> timeout algorithm used by the client.  And should I expect the same behavior
> for DNS clients from HP, SUN, Linux, MS and ...

There have been a couple of different algorithms used by the ISC
resolver over the years, which I don't remember.  This is what is used
by most Unix and Unix-like systems.  Who knows what MS does?  Oh, yes:
tools made specially for testing DNS may/will have different behaviour,
e.g., 'nslookup'.

COSPO/OSIS Computer Support					EMT-B