8.2.2p5 questions

Joseph S D Yao jsdy at cospo.osis.gov
Mon Jan 3 21:16:34 UTC 2000

On Fri, Dec 31, 1999 at 09:43:22PM +0000, G. Roderick Singleton wrote:
> "~~Mimosa §t»W¯ó ~~" wrote:
> > Hi..I tried to install bind 8.2.2p5 on solaris 2.6 OS
> >
> > The installation went well (thanks for the previous postings on the forum),
> > and there is no
> > error messages
> >
> > But, I can not find the "named" anywhere!
>
> I expect it's where you specified when you built bind. Check the
> readmes and other docs for a hint. But since you supposedly installed
> it, why not use find to find it. As root, find / -name named -print.

Somewhat more easily, look in the port/solaris/Makefile.set file, and
find the SBIN directory specified there.  That way you won't have to
exercise the entire used portion of your disk, plus any NFS links.

> > and also there is a named man page..except I can not read it
> >
> > host:/usr/local/bind> whereis named
> > named: /usr/man/man1m/named.1m
> > host:/usr/local/bind> man named
> > Reformatting page.  Wait...sh: /tmp/mpnJOyy_: cannot create
> > sys(cd /usr/man; tbl /usr/man/man1m/in.named.1m |nroff -u0 -Tlp -man - |
> > col -x
> > > /tmp/mpnJOyy_) fail!
> >  aborted (sorry)
> >
> > hmm? why?
>
> Why you couldn't write in /tmp is something for you to do. One of
> the reason is that /tmp simply ran out of space as a result of
> your configuration. Remember /tmp is built from swap space.

Not always.  Most of mine aren't.  "Out of space" is one possibility.
Have you looked at the permissions in /tmp (ls -ld /tmp)?  They should
be 1777 (shows as "drwxrwxrwxt").  Have you looked at how much disk
space is available (df -k /tmp)?

COSPO/OSIS Computer Support					EMT-B