Name Server Problems

Barry Margolin barmar at bbnplanet.com
Tue Jan 4 17:47:24 UTC 2000

In article <3.0.1.32.20000104122459.010651c8 at world.std.com>,
 <carlfoss at world.std.com> wrote:
>Does anyone out there know what may be going on here?  I have another
>server that connects perfectly well, but this one does not.  I tried
>identifying two name servers in db.zoneinfo (this server is a windows NT
>machine) rather than the one, because this was trying to use 209.61.89.145
>as the name server, and the working one was identifying 199.0.65.2 as the
>only name server when I did an nslookup.  The gambit of adding the second
>explicit name server seems to have worked, in that I get responses now to
>nslookup, but it remains that 209.... is apparently not functioning as a
>name server, or at least is not recognized.  Here is the information from
>some of the diagnostics.

You haven't provided nearly enough information for anyone to help you.  For
instance, what domain are you talking about?

>The problem now appears to be that 209.61.89.145 is for some reason not
>recognizable as a server/host/...
>
>[nslookup at command prompt
>First response is that cannot find server name for 209.61.89.145  Non
>existent host/domain.]

That just means that there's no reverse DNS entry for the address
209.61.89.145.  It has no impact on DNS, except that nslookup won't use
that server.  You should use dig instead.

>Here are the traceroutes, one from this machine to the outside world, and
>the other an attempt to go in to the machine from the outside.  Note that I
>can go out but not in.

You probably have packet filters on your gateway router that are blocking
traceroute.

Barry Margolin, barmar at bbnplanet.com