Can you run DNS Server with IP assigned by DHCP?

David Cost dcost at post.com
Tue Jan 4 09:53:26 UTC 2000

Since getting ADSL service a few months back I noticed that the IP,
although dynamic, in fact has not changed for months. So I thought,
"instead of using the Public DNS, why not set up my server as a DNS
server. My IP changes so infrequently, if and when it does, I can go and
reset the IP address in the nameserver entry to my domain record on
Internic, and in the meantime use the Public DNS as my Secondary to fall
back on."

However, after setting up the DNS server and creating a zone, if I do an
nslookup query, instead of getting my nameserver, I see that of the ISP.
So I'm unsure, have I not set up my ZOne files correctly, or am I
barking up the wrong tree because no matter what I do, I cannot use an
IP address that is assigned to me by the ISP's DHCP server and expect it
to function in the same manner as a true static IP assigned to me by an
ISP?