Searchlist problems

Barry Margolin barmar at bbnplanet.com
Tue Jan 4 19:25:42 UTC 2000

In article <040120001705471525%dischner at klch.med.uni-muenchen.de>,
Anton Dischner  <dischner at klch.med.uni-muenchen.de> wrote:
>Hi,
>
>i run a nameserver (BIND 4.9.7) on a SGI Challenge L Irix 6.2.
>My domain is klch.med.uni-muenchen.de.
>
>I use
>
>search klch.med.uni-muenchen.de med.uni-muenchen.de
>
>in my /etc/resolv.conf
>
>when is try to resolve a adress not in my domain for example:
>
>ghn05d.hno
>
>is expect that the questions to the name-server are:
>(via nslookup, set debug)
>
>1. ghn05d.hno.klch.med.uni-muenchen.de (that's the case) -> will fail
>1. ghn05d.hno.med.uni-muenchen.de which should return the correct Address
>
>instead of this the resolver queries one of the root-servers
>(A.ROOT-SERVERS.NET) which is outside of our firewall.
>
>ghn05d.hno -> Non-existant host/domain
>
>Am i completely wrong?

If a name contains a ".", the resolver will first try to use it as a
fully-qualified name.  If that doesn't succeed, it will then try appending
the domains in the search list.

If a name doesn't contain a ".", the resolver first tries using the search
list, and then tries looking it up as a fully-qualified name.

>When does it make sense to switch to Bind 8.x for Irix?

Everyone should switch to BIND 8 if possible.

Barry Margolin, barmar at bbnplanet.com