Win2000 "junk" in DNS

david.lane@mantech.com david.laneNOdaSPAM at mantech.com.invalid
Wed Jan 5 16:41:20 UTC 2000

Greetings,

I thought I posted this earlier this morning, but it seems to have go
awry.

Anyway, I run DNS (both primary and secondary) for several of our
companies and recently I found this in my log files:

Jan  5 11:46:33 lewis named[112]: owner name "gc._msdcs.msec.com" IN
(secondary) is invalid - proceeding anyway

Since you cannot have an underscore, I got on the phone to the DNS
admin at the site and let him know he had an error.  He told me that it
was part of Win2000 and required.

My questions are this:

1) Has anyone else run into this or is it a bad configuration of MAD?

2) Is MS trying to break (or force us away from) BIND so that we can
only use their version?

Since I really have no desire to run MAD, this is not (yet) a big deal,
but several of my sites have decided that Microsoft is the answer to
their dreams and have implemented it.

Thanks,

DAVID