Interpreting Sysylog errors

Barry Margolin barmar at bbnplanet.com
Wed Jan 5 23:18:43 UTC 2000

In article <84vv0k$5ql$1 at nnrp1.deja.com>,  <rhalper at my-deja.com> wrote:
>Can anyone tell me what the following syslog error indicates?  It seems
>to be unable to resolve the IP address of my nameserver into it's name.
>Here's the message:
>
>Jan  4 15:58:40 oak named[23392]: sysquery: findns error (NXDOMAIN) on
>ns2.signal.com?

Some domain is delegated to ns2.signal.com (I wish the error message said
what query caused this call to findns()), and when your nameserver tried to
look up its address so it could query it, it got an NXDOMAIN (No such name)
error.  I just queried the primary server for the signal.com domain and it
confirmed that there's no such host:

tools:~#286% dig ns2.signal.com a @ns.okdirect.com

; <<>> DiG 2.2 <<>> ns2.signal.com a @ns.okdirect.com
; (1 server found)
;; got answer:
;; flags: qr aa rd ra; Ques: 1, Ans: 0, Auth: 1, Addit: 0
;; QUESTIONS:
;;	ns2.signal.com, type = A, class = IN

;; AUTHORITY RECORDS:
signal.com.	86400	SOA	ns.okdirect.com. namemaster.okdirect.com. (
			1	; serial
			10800	; refresh (3 hours)
			3600	; retry (1 hour)
			604800	; expire (7 days)
			86400 )	; minimum (1 day)

;; Total query time: 5357 msec
;; FROM: tools to SERVER: ns.okdirect.com  209.54.94.5
;; WHEN: Wed Jan  5 18:17:26 2000
;; MSG SIZE  sent: 32  rcvd: 101

Barry Margolin, barmar at bbnplanet.com