Looking for RFC

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Thu Jan 6 22:25:08 UTC 2000

Barry Margolin wrote:

> In article <3874FAD9.88E4F04F at daimlerchrysler.com>,
> Kevin Darcy  <kcd at daimlerchrysler.com> wrote:
> >Granted, this is a BIND list, but my particular clarification was about the
> >relationship between OS concepts ("hostname") and RFC's, rather than between
> >BIND and RFC's. My basic point was, if I want to call my machine
> >"-@(%AE(*A``SDFN", then the RFC's don't have squat to say about it as long as
> >I don't advertise that name in the Internet DNS.
>
> You can call your machine whatever you want.  But if you want to be able to
> access it using TCP/IP applications, you have to follow the rules of
> TCP/IP.  They apply to the TCP/IP protocols in general, not just the public
> Internet.

I apologize for muddying the waters here. My main point was that what one calls
their computer is not a "protocol" and therefore not covered by RFC's. But I also
inadvertantly mixed in the fact that RFC's are relatively unenforceable on private
networks by making the Internet-connected/non-Internet-connected distinction.
Please forget I said anything about being connected to the
Internet.