Help with Bind* on Solaris

Mark.Andrews at nominum.com Mark.Andrews at nominum.com
Fri Jan 7 23:52:17 UTC 2000

> I have just compiled and installed the latest version of BIND on
> Solaris2.6. When I start named with the bootfile specified and maximum
> debugging level I am getting no messages in /var/adm/messages. The
> process will not return me to a command prompt when I start it from
> the command line and when I start it in the background and then run
> top, it hovers at around 50% of the CPU resources, but the service is
> not available with nslookup. It is possible that I have a problem with
> my cofig files, but they all look clean to me and with no debugging
> output it is difficult to track down. If someone is willing to help me
> out with this, I would be happy to send copies of the config files.
>
> G. Allen Perry

	First thing I would do is check that syslogd is running and
	configured to send daemon messages to /var/adm/messages.  You
	can test this with logger.

		e.g. "logger -p daemon.info message"

	Named uses facility daemon at several levels.

	I would also remove any logging clauses from named.conf until
	you know the rest of the configuration is correct.

	Named by default writes its debug output to named.run in the
	directory specified in named.conf.

	Start with a simple configuration and build up, the following
	is a minimal caching server configuration.

		options {
			directory "/var/named";
		};

		zone "." {
			type hint;
			file "named.ca";
		};

	Also use "dig" for debugging not nslookup.

	Mark
--
Mark Andrews, Nominum Inc. / Internet Software Consortium
PHONE: +61 2 9871 4742                 INTERNET: Mark.Andrews at nominum.com