8.2.2p5 questions

Joseph S D Yao jsdy at cospo.osis.gov
Sat Jan 8 00:35:57 UTC 2000

On Wed, Jan 05, 2000 at 11:57:22PM +0000, G. Roderick Singleton wrote:
> You have a strange Solaris 2.x setup. Out of the box Solaris uses
> free memory as swap and in turn makes /tmp a tmpfs filesystem
> using what it scavanged from freemem.  For example, /etc/vfstab
> has the following line:
>
> swap	-	/tmp	tmpfs	-	yes	-

Exactly right.  Now let me ask you, how would you like a user to be
able to deny you the ability to run a large program, or otherwise
swapbind your system, by making a huge temporary file?  I don't
consider this change that Sun made the smartest thing it ever did.

> Now if you have changed any of these on your systems, good but the
> user doesn't have your depth of knowledge and thus could easily be
> misled.

Well, the same is true of what you had said.  ;-)  I tend to allow for
other people's changing things.  I suppose partly because I do.

COSPO/OSIS Computer Support					EMT-B