poor throughput question

Craig Partridge craigp at world.std.com
Sat Jan 8 18:43:53 UTC 2000

"Erik" <erik at rmwt.net> writes:

>Thanks for your info...I gather that you are talking about the lines between
>the Colo Spgs telco and the POP for megapop in Denver when you refer to line
>quality.  The reason I say this is that, when I dial another test account
>from another ISP it connects fine, which would indicate the line from my
>house to the CO is fine, is that correct??

Yes, it means your line to your CO is probably OK (much depends on exactly
where the other ISP is).

>At any rate, I think you re basically confirming my belief that there is a
>latency problem with Megapop backhauling their lines from Colo Spgs to
>Denver (foreign exchange), and that is why were are seeing the TCP problems.

Latency isn't usually the problem -- it is line quality (or A/D conversions
as James Carlson points out).  The latencies you get from backhauling are
still so short they should not affect your TCP performance.

Craig