How to invoke named through inetd?

Jim Reid jim at rfc1035.com
Mon Jan 10 17:37:02 UTC 2000

    Ming> I would like to start named through inetd instead of running
    Ming> standalone.  How do I set up my inetd.conf? I tried "named
    Ming> -f", but it did not exit or timeout after the inquiry.

You shouldn't try to start named via inetd. It is normally started by
a shell script in /etc/rc?.d or /etc/rc. [The location depends on your
OS.] If you try to subvert this, things will go wrong. For instance,
you might end up starting two named processes, one of which will
scream about not being able to listen on port 53 for queries because
the other one has already started and set up that listener. [I don't
want to think about what happens to the name server's control socket
or pid file.] If you persevere with launching named from inetd, you'll
probably end up with the same problems with two name server processes
whenever you restart the name server. inetd will interpret the death
of the named process it started as an excuse to start another.
Meanwhile, ndc will be starting named again.