Countdown in NSLOOKUP

oscarh oscarh at my-deja.com
Mon Jan 10 10:47:38 UTC 2000

Greetings:

We are the primary nameserver for our local domain - ccall it
local.com.  We service several local subnetworks connected via leased
lines.  Our db.cache (root.cache) points to our nameserver for the
world-at-large (call it outside.com), with a TTL of 99999999.

When I do an nslookup with debug to a machine on our local network, the
TTL shows as 86400 (24h), and remains constant.  When I do an nslookup
with debug to our nameserver for the W-A-L, the TTL begins as 86400, but
then decrements every time we repeat the nslookup.

Our named.boot does not reference outside.com, only the local networks
for which we are the primary.

After the timer for outside.com decrements to zero, we cannot reach that
nameserver (ns_req: no address for root server) until we stop and
restart named, at which time the process begins again.

Keep in mind that I'm just beginning to explore named.  Is there a
default TTL value for anything not referenced in named.boot?  Why does
the TTL decrement for outside.com, but not for anything in our local
domain?

If further info is needed, just let me know and I'll tell you what
settings are in which files.  We are running DG/UX, and the named
version is 4.9.3.

TIA.
--
OK,