Unknown Query types

Robert Annandale snarfle99 at hotmail.com
Tue Jan 11 21:02:54 UTC 2000

Greetings,

I was just doing my daily check through all log files and I decided
to run 'ndc stats' to view my Name Service statistics.

I was presented with the following output in /usr/lib/named/named.stats.
'Unknown query types' was alarmingly high in ratio to 'time since boot'

Before posting my question here, I visited the comp.protocol.dns.bind FAQ
and my DNS / BIND book.

I could not find anything within the FAQ's, but my book did suggest
someone may be experimenting with new types or there was perhaps
defective implementation somewhere...

As you can see the ratio is approximately 1 unknown query type every 2
minutes.

I have no previous DNS experience to determine if this is normal or not.

+++ Statistics Dump +++ (947623005) Tue Jan 11 12:36:45 2000
86479   time since boot (secs)
86479   time since reset (secs)
708     Unknown query types
28114   A queries
6       NS queries
55      CNAME queries
341     SOA queries
2758    PTR queries
766     MX queries
19      AXFR queries
3       ANY queries
++ Name Server Statistics ++

These statistics are from my Master Name Server.
I have approximately 100 resolvers and 1 Slave Name Server.
My slave Name Server has the latest zone information.

I am currently not experiencing any address or IP resolving issues.

Regards,
Robert Annandale
Programmer
Unipharm Wholesale Drugs