Architecture Questions

Jack Wenzinger jwenzinger at hotmail.com
Wed Jan 12 16:53:30 UTC 2000

Just fishing for some opinions from the experts...

I'm building a DNS platform with over a thousand tertiary subdomains.
Each subdomain will have its own DNS server that will act as secondary for
its own subdomain.

They will be receiving their zone transfers from two main DNS servers that
will be geographically dispersed.

Each tertiary subdomain needs to be able to handle up to 1000 addresses
(although initial rollout will be more like 10 at each site), and around 10
reverse zones.

Each subdomain will consist of approximately 12-13 zone files, creating
about 12000-13000 DB files on the two main servers.

The secondary servers are NT based.

The two main servers can be either NT or Unix based (I prefer Unix).

My questions are as follows:

Has anyone else built something like this and been successful just using
native BIND?  I'm pretty sure that NT DNS Service is out but interested in
people's opinions.  If NT DNS is not as bad as I've been led to believe, is
is possible to integrate BIND 8.x with NT DNS?  Does NT DNS use port 53 for
DNS?  I've read that it uses MS Procedure calls instead.  Not sure if that's
just for mgmt overhead or ???

What management front ends do people recommend?  I've looked at QIP (WAY TOO
PRICEY) and MetaIP (NOT a good fit).

Actually, for what we want to do, we will probably end up building our own
front end since we would like to use it as an asset repository system and
use our Directory Server as the backend datastore.  One of the big
requirements that we have is to have an asset provisioner that will allocate
an IP address on a particular zone at a particular subdomain with a rules
based device naming scheme (yikes).

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Judy