Infinite Cache Cleaning

Joseph S D Yao jsdy at cospo.osis.gov
Wed Jan 12 23:05:22 UTC 2000

On Thu, Jan 06, 2000 at 07:58:51PM -0800, Mark Olbert wrote:
> I just had a very odd Linux system lockup:  my syslog file
> (/var/log/messages) was expanded enormously by a seemingly
> never-ending series of 'cache cleaned' messages from named.
>
> 'Enormously' in this case means that the messages file grew to over 49
> megabytes (!!!). I've never seen it bigger than about 250K before
> this.
>
> Needless to say, I'd like to understand what caused this problem so I
> can prevent it from recurring.
>
> Anyone have any experience with this problem?
>
> - Mark

Do you by any chance have a non-Y2K-compliant BIOS, that shoots your
system WAY into the future whenever you boot?  There was a recent query
with exactly those symptoms, and with that as the cause.

Just because you're running Linux doesn't mean that you have nothing to
worry about from Y2K!

COSPO/OSIS Computer Support					EMT-B