Bind 8.2.2p3 and Dynamic DNS help

Cricket Liu cricket at acmebw.com
Fri Jan 14 06:14:59 UTC 2000

> Nightly we use a perl script to munge the the /etc/host file to
> automatically recreate the forward and reverse lookup zones for our DNS
> servers. This is working fine then comes along Dynamic DNS.
> We are testing a DHCP server (microsoft's) for both our unix and nt hosts.
> the dynamic updates work fine both forward and reverse, but along comes
the
> nightly NIS update and deletes our zone files and recreates them,ouch. I
can
> watch named manage the *.ixfr files and update them (added and deleting
> resource records and incrementing the serial number).
>
> My questions are regarding how long the *.ixfr files last and when and how
> named incorporates them into the zone files. I am thinking that I could
save
> the *.ifxr files nightly and then munge the serial numbers to the next
days
> date and replay them the after doing the nightly NIS update.

I'm not exactly sure why you have IXFR base files when you're using
8.2.2-P3.  IXFR doesn't work in 8.2.2-P3.

The files you should be interested in are the .log files.  Those are the
dynamic update log files.  They should be removed hourly, when the
name server rewrites the zone data files.

cricket

Acme Byte & Wire
cricket at acmebw.com
www.acmebw.com

Attend the next Internet Software Consortium/Acme Byte & Wire
DNS and BIND class!  See www.acmebw.com/training.htm for
the schedule and to register for upcoming classes.