Bind Newbie has questions about CNAMEs

Barry Margolin barmar at bbnplanet.com
Mon Jan 17 20:53:58 UTC 2000

In article <MPG.12ebd67bfd5d54af989681 at betanews.enteract.com>,
Michael Schwager  <schwager at enteract.com> wrote:
>Hi,            (this article refers to Bind 8.2.2p5)
>I'm setting up my own domain, "schwager.com".  I would like to create a
>CNAME to alias "schwager.com" to one of my hosts.  So I create the

Come on, if this isn't one of *the* most FAQ's, I don't know what is.  I
just answered someone else 2 minutes ago.  Doesn't *anyone* read FAQs any
more?

The zone name cannot be a CNAME because it already has SOA and NS records,
and a CNAME can't have other records.  Go the other way: make the domain
name be the A record and mirabai the CNAME.  Or make the both A records.

Barry Margolin, barmar at bbnplanet.com