[Fwd: newbie nameserver]

Barry Margolin barmar at bbnplanet.com
Mon Jan 17 23:25:13 UTC 2000

In article <3883ACE0.EF3EAC72 at csf.nl>, rkloots  <rkloots at csf.nl> wrote:
>So now I believe to have corrected this, how does 'zone-transfer' work?
>I mean how can one force the secondary nameserver to take up the change
>without having to wait for the regular refresh interval in db.csf.nl -
>bearing in
>mind that I don't have control over this secondary?

If both servers are running BIND 8 or Micosoft DNS, then when the primary
is updated it will send a NOTIFY to the secondary, which will refresh the
zone within a few minutes.

Make sure you increased the serial number when you fixed it.  Even when it
receives a NOTIFY, the secondary will check the serial number to see if it
needs to transfer the zone.

Barry Margolin, barmar at bbnplanet.com