Round Robin DNS ?

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Tue Jan 18 19:38:38 UTC 2000

Cricket Liu wrote:

> > I have a situation where a host has the same hostname on 3 different
> > subnets, i.e., a NIC per subnet. How do I STOP round robin?
>
> Use BIND 8.2+'s rrset-order substatement or a sortlist.

Of course, a huge caveat applies to rrset-order and sortlist: since those
are configuration-file constructs, every authoritative server (master and
slaves) and every potential caching server would need to have the same
configuration-file directives, in order to accomplish full coverage of
the proper RRset sorting/ordering. For the Internet, of course, this is
totally impractical, since the number of potential caching servers for
any given public RRset is virtually limitless, and there is no central
control of nameservers. For these reasons, the current implementation of
RRset ordering/sorting tends to be limited to small and/or
centrally-managed private networks.

I'm experimenting with a new DNS query type which will implement RRset
ordering in a more propagatable way. If anything comes of it, I'll
probably publish an Internet Draft.