Countdown in NSLOOKUP

Joseph S D Yao jsdy at cospo.osis.gov
Tue Jan 18 22:59:42 UTC 2000

On Mon, Jan 10, 2000 at 04:58:54PM +0000, oscarh wrote:
> I have a DG/UX box that's the primary nameserver for our domain (call it
> local.com).  We have no problems resolving names/hosts in our domain.
>
> We are also part of a larger intranet (call it big.com) - we even use the
> intranet's nameservers for the root domain, and have entered the nameserver
> info in root.cache thusly:
>
> .                          99999999    IN   NS         server.big.com.
> server.big.com.     99999999    IN   A           123.456.789.10

In your named.conf, you should also forward to server.big.com, and set
"forward only" mode, if - as it seems to me you are saying - you use
this as your only gateway to the Internet.  It sounds like, once the
TTL for this record expires, you are left with no available root server
- which also tells me that you cannot reach the Internet to get to the
"real" root servers.

Hope this helps you and the other writer with an almost identical setup
and question.

COSPO/OSIS Computer Support					EMT-B