Round Robin DNS ?

David Burgess burgess at mitre.org
Tue Jan 18 23:13:35 UTC 2000

Thor Kottelin wrote:

> BIND Users Mailing List wrote:
>
> > From: "Alexander Meis (simmail]" <simmail at pixelhouse.de>
>
> > does annyone know if it is possible to setup an Round Robin DNS
> > using bind ?
> > How can I do this.
>
> In the primary zone file for the relevant domain, enter multiple A records
> for the same host name, pointing to different IP addresses, e.g.:
>
> www     A       192.168.0.1
>         A       192.168.0.2
>         A       192.168.0.3

I've been doing this my POP3 mail servers, and I've found that it
seems to mightily confuse Outlook Express.  If I give them all three
addresses, OE will just freak and not try any of them.  As soon as I
give them a single address (mail2 or mail3 for example) it works like
a dream.

Has any one else seen this?