Countdown in NSLOOKUP

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Wed Jan 19 01:40:22 UTC 2000

Mark.Andrews at nominum.com wrote:

> > Joseph S D Yao wrote:

> > er

> > > In your named.conf, you should also forward to server.big.com, and set
> > > "forward only" mode, if - as it seems to me you are saying - you usethis as
> > > your only gateway to the Internet.
> >
> > Minor nitpick: that "also" should be an "instead". With a stock BIND 8.2.2-p5
> > named, the hints file becomes useless once default forwarding is configured.
> >

>         Default forwarding is "forward first;" and hints are definitely
>         required.

Sorry, I meant "default" in the sense of "global", i.e. in the options clause
rather than a zone clause. Nevertheless, I accept your nitpick of my nitpick. I'll
try to use clearer terminology in the future.

>         With "forward only;" hints are ignored (BIND 8.2.1 onwards).

More specifically, the hints data gets obscured by root NS'es from the forwarder.
A minor code change is required to teach named that in certain situations it
should ignore those NS'es and use the hints data instead.