Error in localhost config?

Steve Snyder swsnyder at home.com
Wed Jan 19 17:12:33 UTC 2000

When running a DNS analysis tool ("DNS Expert", by Mice&Men) against
my nameserver (BIND v8.2.2P5 on a Linux box) I received a warning
about my localhost config.

This was the warning:

        "The Reverse record "1.0.0.127.in-addr.arpa" does not refer to
        the host "localhost.snydernet.lan"

Sure enough, the references *are* different.

In file "db.snydernet" I have this record:

        localhost            IN  A     127.0.0.1

And in file "db.127.0.0" I have:

        1.0.0.127.IN-ADDR.ARPA.         IN  PTR   localhost.snydernet.lan.

So here, finally, is my question:  should both references be set to
localhost.snydernet.lan or should they both be set to just localhost?

Or is this config really ok, and the analysis tool is just complaining
about a non-issue?

Thank you.

*** Steve Snyder ***