Minimizing cache to allow multiple named processes on one machine

Joost Stegeman stegeman at xs4all.nl
Wed Jan 19 20:17:20 UTC 2000

Hi all,

I'm looking for a way to minimize the cachesize of a named process.

I'm currently designing a multi-customer private DNS server for our
VPN services. The idea is to have multiple private DNS servers (for
multiple customers) on one machine, where each customer is completely
independant from the others (These DNS's are private and contain
mainly private toplevels. Public domains are hosted on our regular DNS
servers)
I thought of running multiple named processes on the machine, where
each process is bound to it's own IP address. These named processes
would all be authoritive for their respective domains and forward all
unknown queries to one designated (and local) named processes which
functions as the central cache. This last process is thus the only one
contacting the Internet (via a firewall) and should host a large
cache, whereas the customer named processes should have a minimal
cache to keep the memorysize of the machine within limits.

My questions:
- How do I minimize the cachesize of a named process?

- Is this a realistic scenario or would I be better off putting a lot
of memory in the machine and have all of the named processes build
their own cache?

- Any suggestions?

tia, Joost.

Joost Stegeman