prioritize DNS results

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Wed Jan 19 22:08:41 UTC 2000

Nikos Voutsinas wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Does anyone know how can I prioritize DNS results based on network location (something like MX records)

MX records don't have any built-in network intelligence; they just allow the static assigning of a
preference.

You can use the sortlist option, with the same caveats which apply to the rrset-order option: it needs to
be configured on the master and all slaves in order to be even nominally effective, and even then, cached
results can interfere. Lowering TTL's can partially deal with the caching problem, but only at the expense
of increasing query traffic.