nslookup sucks (was Re: [Fwd: newbie nameserver])

pwolfe at qred.quintiles.com pwolfe at qred.quintiles.com
Thu Jan 20 09:00:40 UTC 2000

Could you please point out a site on the Web where people can download 'dig'
from?

Thanks for all your advice!
---------------------- Forwarded by Philip Wolfe/QRED/Quintiles on 20/01/2000
09:02 ---------------------------

Barry Margolin <barmar at bbnplanet.com> on 19/01/2000 18:23:13

 To:      comp-protocols-dns-bind at moderators.uu.net

 cc:      (bcc: Philip Wolfe/QRED/Quintiles)

 Subject: Re: nslookup sucks (was Re: [Fwd: newbie
          nameserver])

In article <38858092.9AC8AD99 at anta.net>, Thor Kottelin  <thor at anta.net> wrote:
>> The
>> only feature it has is its ubiquity -- it's included with most versions of
>> Unix and NT.
>
>This is a nice feature, especially when you need to instruct someone to
>troubleshoot their local DNS setup, but don't know what other tools they
>might have installed.

True.  Although I never use nslookup myself, when I'm performing technical
support and telling our customers to do DNS lookups, I refer to nslookup
since it's the only tool I assume they have.

However, here in the newsgroup I try to encourage people to use dig.  It's
infinitely better when you're doing detailed troubleshooting.

Barry Margolin, barmar at bbnplanet.com