Searchable Reference Regarding Errors and Warnings

Martin McCormick martin at dc.cis.okstate.edu
Thu Jan 20 21:31:48 UTC 2000

	Where is there a resource that lists bind warnings and errors
and explains what caused them?

	I have the Oreily book and it is a gold mine, but I am
presently caught up in what I call the "treasure hunt syndrome" in
which one spends (mostly wastes) time treading data and not
necessarily heading to a solution.  I have an error which says:

 query(some.domain) contains our address (ns.cis.okstate.edu:139.78.100.1)

	We are a slave dns for some.domain so there is a NS record
listed in their SOA for ns.cis.okstate.edu all right, right under
their own NS record.  I thought that's what is normally done.

	I want to know what this condition means, but better yet, I
would like to see a listing somewhere, preferably in searchable form,
of every single ill-health condition and at least a thumbnail
description of what caused it so we can more quickly fix the problem
and spend less time on a wild goose chase.

	I think the isc software is the finest around and this is not
a criticism of anybody.  The problem of linking a malfunction with a
knowledge base to at least limit the search scope to a manageable
amount is chronic to computing in general and is the bane of modern
society.  Is there anything like a global search of the archive
messages? that would probably allow one to type in the "has our
address" part and cut right to the chase.

Martin McCormick WB5AGZ  Stillwater, OK
OSU Center for Computing and Information Services Data Communications Group