IP addresses on RHS?

Cricket Liu cricket at acmebw.com
Fri Jan 21 05:32:38 UTC 2000

> I have the idea (from DNS & Bind, as well as RFC1035) that IP addresses
> should only be used on the right-hand side of A RRs (i.e. not on the RHS
of
> any other kind of RR).  Is this in fact the case?  I've just started work
> at a place that seems to like putting IP addresses on the RHS of MX
> records, which I am *sure* is just plain wrong...

I can't think of any RR types besides the A record that take
an IP address on the right-hand side.  IP addresses are
certainly not allowed in the RDATA of an MX record.

cricket

Acme Byte & Wire
cricket at acmebw.com
www.acmebw.com

Attend the next Internet Software Consortium/Acme Byte & Wire
DNS and BIND class!  See www.acmebw.com/training.htm for
the schedule and to register for upcoming classes.