Add a root to an Internal DNS server

Hugh Davies hdavies at kzin_nospam.rnb_nospam.com
Fri Jan 21 11:57:22 UTC 2000

In article <8380.948452538 at gromit.rfc1035.com>, Jim Reid <jim at rfc1035.com> writes:

>    Soraya> Hi All, I have an Internal DNS, which I was said seemed to
>    Soraya> work without any root configured on it.
>
>There will probably be a lot of complaints in the name server logs
>about not being able to find the root zone. Name servers need to know
>where the root name servers are located.

Not a "lot". bind complains when it starts up if you don't have A, B &
so on in the root hints file, but is otherwise silent on the matter.

--
Regards,

Hugh.
--
VP Desktop Systems, HSBC Bank (USA), London.
The views expressed here are mine, and do not reflect the official