Advice on Internal Domain Names

peter at icke-reklam.manet.dot..nu peter at icke-reklam.manet.dot..nu
Tue Jan 25 19:36:27 UTC 2000

Mark Taylor <nobody at nowhere.com> wrote:
> Hi

You got an importent point here, reserve 'foo.co.uk' for extarnal use
and put all internal servers one level down.

You might not need the 'intranet' part since 'branch.foo.co.uk' already
is one level down (unless you would like to populate 'intranet.foo.co.uk'
with some common services.

And the branches might use simple names for all local resources,
use fully qualified to reach a host in another dep., or have
cnames defined in branch-dns for the names that the users will access outside
their area.

Go ahead !

> I want some advice on how to name my internal domains.  We have a registered
> Domain Name (foo.co.uk for this example), and I need to break it down for my
> internal branches.

> The plan is to do a follows:

> Internet
> foo.co.uk
> Firewall
> intranet.foo.co.uk
> branch1.intranet.foo.co.uk ... branch50.intranet.foo.co.uk

> This will put all our internet servers on "visible" foo.co.uk.  Everything
> on our intranet will be "non-visible" intranet.foo.co.uk.

> Is this the recommend approach to naming internal domains ?

> Thanks in advance (sorry about the length of the post)

> Mark Taylor

Peter Håkanson
Manet Networking      (At the Riverside of Gothenburg, home of Volvo)
peter (at) manet (dot) nu | sed "s/(at)/@/g " | sed "s/(dot)/\./g"|sed "s/ //g"