eth0,eth1, domainname, DNS

Bruce Ordway ordway at uswest.net
Thu Jan 27 05:22:39 UTC 2000

I'm venturing into some new territory & things are looking a little
confused.
I've set up a new RH61 box with two nics, eth0 & eth1.
eth0 has an ip address 10.0.0.4, its gateway to the Internet is my DSL
router 10.0.0.1
eth1 has an ip address 128.1.1.55 that talks to my internal network.
ipchains handles traffic between the two.

I was going to set up DNS and Sendmail on this same box but when I run
linuxconf the confusion starts.
Under config, networking, client tasks, basic host information I see some
funny entries.
eth0 has 3c59x listed as Primary name + domain and eth1 has ne listed as
Primary name + domain.
The aliases fields are blank for both nics, 3c59x and ne are the aliases I
thought I had set these nics up with.
Wonder what happened there!

Anyway, I'm looking for a little info on DNS and domain names as it applies
to a RH61 box with two nics.
I've done this on a box with one nic, but I guess I didn't REALLY understand
what I was doing.

Thanks,
Bruce Ordway