How to install Bind for RPM

Duane Cox dcox at coxnetwork.com
Thu Jan 27 15:24:22 UTC 2000

Hello

I use Red Hats distribution, and when installing 6.0 I allowed the OS to install bind.
Now of course this bind is out of date, and want to install the latest and greatest.
I downloaded the 8.2.2.P3 RPM from red hats ftp update.redhat.com and issued
a rpm -U bind-8.2.2.P3.rpm and the install went fine... I assume that was the correct way to do it.

But what if I wanted to compile the latest version and install it that way?
Would I have to rpm -e the previous bind installed by the OS install, then proceed installing bind?
Would I have to poke and prod around the file system and take out unnecessary files?
If I have red hat is it just best to install via rpm if i can?

Duane Cox
dcox at coxnetwork.com