How do those Dynamic DNS servers work for dial in accounts?

Joseph S D Yao jsdy at cospo.osis.gov
Thu Jan 27 22:03:35 UTC 2000

On Sun, Jan 16, 2000 at 04:36:18PM +1000, Robert Chalmers wrote:

> I've come across organisations that provide Dynamic IP/DNS services for users who are not online a lot. Somehow they recognise the caller through a link with somesoftware, and assign them an IP, which gives them full duplex internet access. www.24Link.com is one that comes to mind, or I think dynadns . not sure of its name, but anyway. I'm curious to know how such a thing works, and if it's possible to set something like that up. If one had a crew in the field, it might be a very handy thing.
>
> Sorry if this is one of theose areas I should know about ..
>
> Thanks for any ideas anyone has on the subject
>
> cheers
> Robert

The user needs to get connected to the Internet and get an IP from an
ISP before using these services.  The ISP connection gives them their
IP address and "full duplex" internet access.  This is all that a crew
in the field usually needs.

If there is someone else out there, though, that desperately needs to
contact THAT host by name, and the ISP only gives dynamic [DHCP] IP
addresses [instead of static, which would obviate the need for this],
THEN these services accept an authentication and the IP address from
the dialed-in client, and hook that name up to that IP address on-line
in DNS.  Then a person can read, e.g., www.binky.com.au from whatever
IP address Binky happens to have received on dial-up.

But, as I said, this is not likely to be desperately needed by most
folks dialing in.

COSPO/OSIS Computer Support					EMT-B