ndc start

Barry Margolin barmar at bbnplanet.com
Fri Jan 28 15:08:39 UTC 2000

In article <9E9k4.909$xk3.57451 at news.uswest.net>,
Bruce Ordway <ordway at uswest.net> wrote:
>Hi,
>I've been working on setting up a DNS server at home. I have it working
>somehow but I'm still polishing. One thing is the way I have to get it
>running. When I boot up the system nsllokup won't work. I have to type "ndc
>start" & then everything takes off. How would I get this to start
>automatically? Does this indicate that I might have something screwed up?

You need to put something in one of the system startup scripts to start it
automatically.  Although I think most systems already contain something in
the scripts that checks for the existence of /etc/named.conf and starts
named automatically.  Perhaps you didn't install named where the standard
script expects.  Grep for "named" in the rc scripts.

Barry Margolin, barmar at bbnplanet.com