Yet another newbie

Barry Margolin barmar at bbnplanet.com
Fri Jan 28 21:41:32 UTC 2000

In article <86sfru$g4j$1 at lacerta.tiscalinet.it>,
Mario.A.C <shertANTISPAMSHIELD at tiscalinet.it> wrote:
>Hi to all of you
>I've got a doubt that is driving me crazy;
>I'm running for the first time Bind 8.2.2 P5 under Linux , I've noticed that
>one of the "fields" in the soa record is called Expire Time ; now I'm
>wondering , what does happens when this time is finished? the zone is
>removed? Bind ignores that zone so a request will end in a failure?
>and how can I automatically upgrade serial numbers of zones that will never
>change?

The Expire time specifies how long a slave server will continue to be
authoritative for the zone when it has been unable to contact the master
server for refreshes.  If it can't query the SOA record, or it sees a new
serial number but can't perform a zone transfer, for that length of time it
will start answering non-authoritatively for the zone.  It will still
answer with the data it got during the last successful transfer, but the
Authoritative Answer flag will not be set.

Barry Margolin, barmar at bbnplanet.com