InterNIC host registration

Barry Margolin barmar at bbnplanet.com
Sat Jan 29 01:54:10 UTC 2000

In article <4.1.20000128160343.00a21740 at mail.thirdage.com>,
Glenn Huish  <glennh at thirdage.com> wrote:
>If I change the host registration for the primary nameserver from
>ns.foo.com to ns.bar.com, will it affect the registration the domains that
>list ns.foo.com as primary? I know you can't register a domain with a
>nameserver that's not registered, but what if you de-register (in effect) a
>server that's already in use by a domain? I had hoped I could just register
>multiple hosts on the same IP address, but the host reg form is pretty
>specific about it: one host=one IP address.

NSI's WHOIS database links domains to servers by the server's handle, not
its hostname.  I'm not sure if they'll let you rename a host using the
Modify Host form, but if they do it should be reflected automatically in
all the domains that use that host.

>Assuming it's possible, and won't magically unregister all my domains, will
>it affect the performance of dns during the time the InterNIC is out of
>sync with my zone info? Note that I'm not changing nameservers, nor IP
>addresses, nor anything else about the host itself, just the domain that
>it's registered under with NetSol. The server is authoritative for all the
>zones no matter what, so would there be any effect at all?

It should be OK.

>The way i see it, the scenario should play like so:
>
>1-send in modify host form
>2-upon confirmation, send in domain modify forms w/host change
>3-update zone.db files w/new NS record

You shouldn't need to modify the domains, because the server handle hasn't
changed.

>Either I can change all of my zone.db files before the modify goes through,
>say, when I get the confirmation from NetSol, or after I verify the change
>is completed. Either way, the info will be out of sync for a few days
>minimum, and I can't afford for this to affect traffic, as these are live
>sites.

Since the IP address isn't changing, it doesn't matter what name is used to
refer to the nameserver.

Barry Margolin, barmar at bbnplanet.com