Dynamic DNS Help

Cricket Liu cricket at acmebw.com
Sat Jan 29 04:01:27 UTC 2000

>     I am looking for some direction.  I have some basic knowledge of DNS.
> have used BIND version 4.6 and 8.x and have also used NT DNS.  I now would
> like to venture into the world of Dynamic DNS for win9x clients.  I
> understand that the win9x clients are not DynamicDNS aware, but win2k
> clients are.  So, from what I understand so far is that the win9x clients
> get their IP address from a dhcp server and then the DHCP server reports
> that IP to the DNS server.  Win2k DHCP and DNS servers do this natively.
My
> question is are there any UNIX BIND (8.x) servers that work with UNIX DHCP
> servers in the same fashion?

Sure.  The ISC DHCP server and BIND 8 name servers will do that.  See
http://www.isc.org

> Or, are there any UNIX BIND (8.x) servers that
> will work with Win2k DHCP servers or vice versa?

Anything after BIND 8.1 will support SRV records and dynamic update, which
is all you strictly need to support Windows 2000.

cricket

Acme Byte & Wire
cricket at acmebw.com
www.acmebw.com

Attend the next Internet Software Consortium/Acme Byte & Wire
DNS and BIND class!  See www.acmebw.com/training.htm for
the schedule and to register for upcoming classes.