newbie question

rainkid rainkid at rainkid.com
Mon Jan 31 01:34:42 UTC 2000

hi everyone.
here is what i am trying to do.  i am trying to setup a dns server using
bind 8.2.2.  i am trying to set up my lan as "domain.com" and have a
bind/named also be  a caching name server.
here is my named.conf with some questions appended.

options {
        directory "/var/named";
        forwarders{
                216.231.41.x;
                216.231.41.y;
                209.253.194.z;
        };
# i read that this will lighten the load on named by forwarding requests to
another name server. will this affect the caching role of bind/named if i
leave forwarding on?

        check-names master warn;
        allow-transfer{
                216.231.38.x;
                216.231.38.y;
                216.231.38.z;
                216.231.38.w;
        };
};

logging{
        category lame-servers   { null; } ;
        category cname          { null; };
        category statistics     { null; };
# even with category statistics     { null; }; i get "cleaned cache of x
RRSets" in my log file.  how can i disable this... and what exactly is a
rrset?  do this message mean that the cache has been cleaned?  the number is
always really low, like 4 or 5 or so.  i assume this means not alot of
domains are being cached?
};

zone "." {
        type hint;
        file "db.cache";
};

zone "domain.com"{
        type master;
        file "domain.com";
};

zone "0.0.127.IN-ADDR.ARPA"{
        type master;
        file "pri.0.0.127.in-addr.arpa";
};

also, i try to use this name server as my primary dns in windows nt.  bind
is running under linux.  but using my own nameserver actally took a longer
time to resolve names than as if i were to use my ISPs name server.  how do
i remedy this (guess my server is not really caching huh)

one last question is, how do i prevent everyone access from using my bind
server as thei dns?  meaning any joe/jane can open up their network config
and put in my name server ip for their primary/secondary DNS and my dns
server will resolve all named for them!

thank you all for your helping this newbie =)