HOWTO: bind for Internet and 192.168.x.x

w00dy at my-deja.com w00dy at my-deja.com
Mon Jan 31 19:02:44 UTC 2000

I am running a network that using 192.168.x.x behind the firewall/NAT
server.  Presently I am letting my ISP be my primary and secondary DNS
server and only using host files on the inside to resolve all the
192.168.x.x address.

I would like to host the primary DNS myself.  In hosting the DNS
myself, I would really like to get it setup where it also resolves all
the machines in the 192.168.x.x network also.  How do I set it up that
way?  Especially with the machines that are seen from the outside via
net?  I don't want someone getting my 192.168.x.x, but internally I
do.  How do I control this?

P.S.  The firewall/NAT is also the DHCP server (Linux box).  Is there
some why to have DHCP update the DNS server about the dynamic IP
address of the clients on the inside?

Woody

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.