Can DNS & POP3 on the same server?

DanO express at fastdial.net
Sun Jul 2 20:34:42 UTC 2000

I must be missing the whole point here, cause if I understand you correctly,
Paul, your saying sendmail & bind CAN_NOT exist on the same machine and work
properly.
    Well 1st thing, the original question was -"If my DNS & POP3 is the same
machine,then how to setup the MX record?.     Sendmail is a MTA, POP3 is a
MDA. the 2 work together in the mail process along with DNS.
    Now unless I read the entire DNS & Sendmail books wrong, I coudn't find
one single statement about the 2 of them not working together. Yes, sendmail
is difficult to configure, at best a migraine on a good day.
    Anyway that wasn't the original posters question.    Again if I'm not
mistaken, the easy fix is for you to Alias your network card to a couple
different IP's.
    Have 1 for DNS, 1 for the pop3d connection, and 1 for the machines
hostname.

    Here is how mine is setup;
@        IN MX 10 mail.mydomain.com
pop3    IN A  111.111.111.2
mail      IN A  111.111.111.3
host      IN A  111.111.111.4

I dont have a ref to smtp cause I dont sent outgoing mail from my servers, I
send it through my dial-up.
    I hope that answers the original posters question. As for your problem
of not being able to send your self mail, the answer is in your aliases @
vitusaertable file for sendmail. My guess is you have the machine configured
for both Mail Hub & client.