Can DNS & POP3 on the same server?

Jim Reid jim at rfc1035.com
Mon Jul 3 18:00:37 UTC 2000

    Paul> I mean... if a pop3 user log's in and collect's his mail
    Paul> from an outside network, the user should be able to send
    Paul> smtp mail with out giving a password to the smtp for a
    Paul> specified time period.

This is do-able with sendmail. Just about anything is do-able with
sendmail. [Write a ruleset that implements a Turing machine and take
it from there...]

    Paul> All most every windows based mail server will allow you to
    Paul> do this!, (except sendmail for NT)!.
    Paul> Why is it that send mail can not catch up?

Gosh, you really are misinformed. sendmail's been routing mail on the
internet for around 20 years now. The software is at the forefront of
new standards and functionality. Because of its installed base, a mail
standard won't happen on the Internet unless it gets implemented by
sendmail.

    Paul> Also I know you can set up a cron event to scan your drive
    Paul> for viruses but I do not know of any REAL-TIME virus
    Paul> scanners for sendmail.....but, yet again there are plenty
    Paul> for the windows environment!.

That's because the protection model on UNIX systems makes it much
harder to write and deploy a virus.

    Paul> Could this be the problem the government's is having with
    Paul> email virus?  (exchange & outlook aside).

I doubt it. AFAIK there have been no documented instances of a UNIX
virus. [Well the folk at Bell Labs played with them ~10 years ago and
then there was the Internet worm in 1998, but that wan't a virus.]
This doesn't mean these things couldn't exist. It's just nobody's come
across a real example of one yet.

    Paul> Does it still ring true " You get what you pay for"????.

I have no idea what you mean by this or what you're getting at. Are
you saying that the only worthwhile software is the stuff you pay for?
FYI, most of the critical networking software on the internet is Open
Source and free: BIND (DNS), sendmail (mail), Apache (www). The
internet wouldn't be what it is without those things.