(no subject)

Cricket Liu cricket at acmebw.com
Mon Jul 3 21:53:46 UTC 2000

> I have just compiled and installed BIND 8.2.2p5 on a Sun Ultra5 running
> Solaris 7.  The network has no connectivity to the outside world/Internet.
> BIND will be used for internal name resolution only.  I have followed the
> O'Reilly book on how to setup the data and config files for BIND.  The
> problem that I am having is that when I use nslookup to test my
installation,
> I get the following:
>
> Server: localhost
> Address: 127.0.0.1
>
> instead of returning  "labultra5-a.jlic.com" and it's IP address.

That's just because you have 127.0.0.1 in resolv.conf
instead of labultra5-a.jlic.com's IP address.

> I have pasted the BIND data and config files below:
>
> $TTL 0d

You probably don't want to set your TTL to zero.

> jlic.com. IN SOA labultra5-a.jlic.com. administrator.jlic.com. (
>            20070203;Serial
>            10800 ;
>            3600 ;
>            604800 ) ;

You seem to be missing a field from your SOA record--
maybe the negative caching TTL?

(
>   20070202 ; Serial
>   10800   ; refresh after 3 hours
>   3600    ;retry after 1 hour
>   604800 ) ; expire after 1 week

Same here.

> 1.22.172.in-addr.arpa.  IN SOA labultra5-a.jlic.com.
administrator.jlic.com. (
>   20070203 ; Serial
>   10800  ; Referesh
>   3600     ; Retry
>   604800   )  ; Expire

And here.

> ; db.cache file
> .   999999      IN  NS  labultra5-a.jlic.com.
> ;
> labultra5-a.jlic.com.   999999  IN  A   172.22.1.1

This isn't the right root hints file.  If you really have
no Internet connectivity, you might want to make
this a root name server.

> nameserver 172.22.1.1
> localhost 127.0.0.1

There's no "localhost" directive in resolv.conf.

cricket