Interior glue RRs same DNS server

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Wed Jul 5 20:56:14 UTC 2000

efbatey_15 at my-deja.com wrote:

> I probably should have known that I can have illegal IPs in my
> DNS to support inside addresses (non routables) .. OR .. I could
> get masters and slaves to succeed with named-xfer .... BUT ....
> NOT BOTH.  Only once I dumped the glue RRs would zones transferfrom
> master to slaves.

This doesn't make any sense. named-xfer doesn't make any value
judgements about the address records it happens to be transferring. And
it doesn't look at "glue records" either; it just attempts a zone
transfer from whatever address or list of addresses it is told to
transfer from.

> Bind 8.1.2, is there a work around without a second port or no
> way at all ?  to support interior addresses only which dont get
> seen at xfer time ?

Hmmm... Now this sounds like a *different* problem/challenge. Seems you
want to "filter" the non-routable addresses out of your zone transfers.
There is no support for this in BIND. Normally, folks run a "split" DNS
where they maintain names in both an internal and an external version of
the zone. The non-routable addresses would only appear in the internal
version.