xfer question

Jim Reid jim at rfc1035.com
Thu Jul 6 17:19:51 UTC 2000

>>>>> "Christopher" == Cardinal Christopher <Christopher.Cardinal at sms.siemens.com> writes:

    Christopher> If my name servers are authoritative for a class B,
    Christopher> say 226.165.in-addr-arpa, but we delegate about 10
    Christopher> subnets to subdomains (for which we are the slave,)
    Christopher> should another name server with our permission be
    Christopher> able to transfer the zone 226.165.in-addr.arpa from
    Christopher> us?

Yes. Why shouldn't they? The issue of delegation is irrelevant here.
If the zone 226.165.in-addr-arpa exists and your name server is
authoritative for that zone, zone transfers will just work. Unless
you've got an ACL on the name server or router to prevent it. Or if
your server is so sick it can't allocate buffers for a TCP connection
for the transfer.

    Christopher> My named.conf does not have a zone
    Christopher> 226.165.in-addr.arpa specified

Therefore this server cannot be "authoritative for a class B" -
presumably the 226.165.in-addr.arpa zone in other words - as you claim.

    Christopher> Jul 6 15:49:57 root named-xfer[19894]: [165.226.4.140] not authoritative for 226.165.in-addr.arpa, SOA query got rcode 0, aa 0, ancount 0, aucount 1

That's what named-xfer says when it's asked to transfer a zone from a
server that isn't authoritative for that zone. There are two reasons why
165.226.4.140 isn't authoritative for 226.165.in-addr.arpa. One is
that the server got an error when it loaded that zone. The other is
that it was never told to load that zone in the first place. For
example by not having "a zone 226.165.in-addr.arpa specified" in
named.conf.