need to debug "unapproved update"

Jim Reid jim at rfc1035.com
Thu Jul 6 17:24:33 UTC 2000

    Duane> Hello We have some Windows 2000 machines out there which
    Duane> are apparently trying to update its host name with our dns
    Duane> servers.  Can't I send a kill signal to the named.pid so
    Duane> that the debugging is on?  I want to debug what this
    Duane> machine is trying to do..  What kill signal is that?

You should use ndc and not signals to turn on debugging. Or anything
else which manages the name server for that matter. Different signal
numbers do different things on different BIND versions. I don't think
that turning up the debugging will help you much. The best you can
hope for is probably a dump of the packet containing the update
request. You could then use RFC2136 to decode that packet's contents.